Language Proficiency Report:
How Can I Support My Child When I Don't Speak the Target Language?
Often parents worry about how they will be able to help their children learn how to speak the target language when they themselves don’t speak it. Don’t worry! You don’t have to speak any of it for your children to succeed.
At the same time, you should provide your children with time to practice the target language during the school week. Just as skills like reading English and doing math need to be reinforced at home, so do the language skills your child is learning. This does not need to be incredibly time-consuming. Fifteen to thirty minutes of language time each school night can give your child the reinforcement he or she needs. The following are suggestions of how non-target language speaking parents can help create this language time for their children.
- Parents help at home
- http://www.mandarintools.com (On-line Chinese Tools)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-_P_H9gMmo (Four Tones of Mandarin)
- http://mandarin.about.com/od/writingmandarin/a/writebyhand.html (Learning to Write Chinese Characters)
- Other Sites:
- http://readchinese.nflc.org/?page=home (Read Chinese!)
- Check out TV show websites that feature Spanish activities:
- Games in Spanish
- Other Sites:
- Get help with math homework with these helpful terms:
- Common Math Directions in English and Spanish
Learn the Portuguese Alphabet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix_ougC1TNQ
10 Important Reasons Why Learn Portuguese https://www.fluentu.com/blog/portuguese/why-learn-portuguese/
Guide to Portuguese http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/portuguese/guide/
Talk Portuguese http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/portuguese/talk/
Learn Portuguese Vocabulary and Phrases https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSdEhOEJ9Oc
Learn Portuguese (Kids Video) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfD4zLFTbSM