"Utah’s Dual Language Immersion Programs help to prepare our students for the jobs of tomorrow. Dual Language Immersion gives students a tremendous and early advantage in learning to navigate the national, cultural, and linguistic complexities inherent in our increasingly global marketplace.” - Gary Herbert, Utah State Governor
“In this increasingly competitive world, it is critical for Utah students to be able to deliver services and information in various languages and appreciate the subtleties of doing business in other cultures, much of which is learned through language study.” _ Howard Stephenson, Utah State Senator
“Utah’s Dual Language Immersion Program effectively provides an excellent strategy for Utah students to realize their potential to become an advanced multilingual workforce, better prepared for the challenges of the world economy.” - Law Cramer, President, World Trade Center – Utah
"Keep language-skills momentum going through high school" , Johanna Watzinger-Tharp, Ph.D., associate professor of linguistics, senior adviser in the Office for global Engagement and director at International studies Program at the University of Utah.
Research and Articles:
- Kathryn Lindholm-Leary, Dual Language Education
- What Parents Want to Know about Foreign Language Programs https://ranchcreek.asd20.org/aboutourprogram/Documents/ERIC%20Digest%20Parent%20Info.pdf
- The Need for Foreign Language Cpmpetence in the United States https://www.ericdigests.org/pre-924/need.htm
- A link to an NPR program on the benefits of Dual Language Immersion effects the brain.
- A recording of two students who were in an inaugural Chinese DLI class, presenting on the Senate floor when they were in 4th grade. As you can see, even at this young age, their skills were incredible.
- Collier and Thomas, The Astounding Effectiveness of Dual Language Education For All
- Collier and Thomas, “School Effectiveness for Language Minority Students”
- Two-language program produces results -
“Dual Immersion students outperform English-only counterparts”
By TERRY SMITH: Click HERE to read this news article.
- Thomas, W.P., & Collier, V. P. (2012). Dual Language Education for a Transformed World. Albuquerque, NM: Dual Language Education of New Mexico/Fuente Press.
- Collier, V. P., & Thomas, W. P. (2009). Educating English Learners for a Transformed World. Albuquerque, NM: Dual Language Education of New Mexico/Fuente Press.
- Guiding Principles for Dual Language Education, available at CAL website: http://www.cal.org/twi/guidingprinciples.htm
- Evaluator's Tool Kit for Dual Language programs, available free at: http://www.cal.org/twi/EvalToolkit
- The Superior Social Skills of Bilinguals, The New York Times, http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/13/opinion/sunday/the-superior-social-skills-of-bilinguals.html?_r=0
- Utah's DLI Program: McPolin Elementary School, Park City, April 4, 2016, https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2016/04/03/global-economy-mass-lags-teaching-foreign-languages/HO2IL1ddRvYMZ7BYuiSElL/story.html
- As Utah's first dual immersion students are prepping for college, so is their language program http://www.sltrib.com/home/3752079-155/as-utahs-first-dual-immersion-students-are?fullpage=1
- Foothills Elementary School, Jordan School District, http://archive.sltrib.com/story.php?ref=/sltrib/news/54591846-78/language-programs-chinese-dual.html.csp
- Utah's Dual Language Immersion Program, https://www.ksl.com/?sid=23233541
- The Translanguaging Classroom: Leveraging Student Bilingualism for Learning by Ofelia García, Susana Ibarra Johnson, and Kate SeltzerBiliteracy from the Start: Literacy Squared in Action by Kathy Escamilla, Susan Hopewell, Sandra Butvilovsky, Wendy Sparrow, Lucinda Soltero-González, Olivia Ruiz-Figueroa, and Manuel EscamillaTeaching for Biliteracy: Strengthening Bridges between Languages by Karen Beeman and Cheryl Urow